The New One Minute Manager by Kenneth H. Blanchard, Spencer Johnson
My rating: 4 of 5 stars
People who feel good about themselves produce good results
- Plan the goals together and describe them briefly
- Have people write out each of their goals, with due date, on a single page
- Ask them to review their most important goals each day
- Look at what you’re doing to check they match with your goals
- If the task is not aligned to the goal re-think what you are doing to reach your goal earlier
Take a minute to look at your goals. Then look at what you are doing and see if it matches your goals.
Help people reach their potential. Catch them doing something right.
- Praise someone as soon as possible
- Let people know what they did right – be specific
- Tell people how good you feel about what they did right and how it helps.
Pause for a moment so they can appreciate the praise
- Encourage them to do more of the same
- Make it clear that you have confidence in them and support their success
- Re-direct people as soon as there is room for improvement
- Confirm the facts first and review the mistakes together – be specific
- Express how you feel and the impact on results
Pause for a moment so they can appreciate the problem
- Remember to let them know that they are better than their mistakes and you think well of them as a person
- Remind them you have confidence and trust in them and support their success
- Relise that when the re-direct is over its over
Everyone is a winner. Some people are disguised as losers, don’t let their appearance fool you.